Sunday, April 3, 2011

Prompt: Fools

I managed to write something else! It's a second priority for me so I'm not forcing myself to get everyday done (although I should!)


"FOOLS! All of you are FOOLS, I say!"
I pace in my room back and forth as I ponder my dilemma, "They think they can outwit me! I'll show them. I'll show them!"
They think they can overthrow me. ME. The king. I have ruled this country for years through the good times and bad. I defended it against greedy invaders seeking our wealth and people. I sought retribution for others claiming our land and our goods. I reformed the corrupt agencies of the government and the church. I did not fear for my own safety as I challenged my own corrupt men because I feared for the safety of my people and subjects. I pace back and forth; back and forth. Up and down my sleeping quarters I pace; I think about my many triumphs and my many defeats and failures. Any wrong or mistake I made cannot outweigh the greatness I achieved for my country. I turn my head as a knock at the door alerts me that I am not alone.
"My liege," the servant says, "I have your dinner." He bows over the plate as he sets it near the door. I dismiss him with an imperious nod of my royal ordained head. Baptized and anointed by God to rule this fine country. I smile to myself as I eat my dinner and plot my escape into glory.
------
The guard watches through the bars as the old dirty man digs into his plate of mushy roast and potatoes with his hands.
The guard on patrol walks up to him and looks through the bars as well, "This guy was king?"
The first guard chuckles, "Nah, he's just a crazy old bastard who lives in someone else's past."

2 comments: