Friday, April 1, 2011

Prompt: Fools

I literally had no vision of this one, and it formed itself. Yay!

“I don’t really care much for April Fools.” Jimmy leaned back in his chair, tipping in it, leaning his feet up on the table to keep him properly balanced. His friend was basically ignoring him, typing away at his computer.

“Hm?”

“I said, I don’t like April Fool’s Day.” Jimmy repeated, cocking an eyebrow at his overly busy friend. “You need a vacation man.”

“Yeah, I know. So why don’t you like April Fool’s Day?”

“All these ass hats walking around trying to play shitty jokes on each other… You wouldn’t let them get away with that bullshit any other day of the week, why the hell does the first day in April get such special treatment?”

“I don’t know man, I also don’t care. I forget about this shit until some dick does something stupid.”

“Well, that’s it then.” Jimmy bumped his foot on the table, much to the distaste of his friend, Eric.

“What’s it? What are you going to honestly do about it? You’re going to tell people to stop pranking you? They’re going to think that is a prank! You’re a constant joker you know. A fool among fools.”

“Yeah well you’re a work-a-holic and you don’t hear me complaining.”

“Are you kidding? You’re always complaining, you were just complaining.”

“Not about you working too much!”

“Yeah, you do. All the time whining. Why do you think we’re here right now? I have a big proposal on Monday at the office and instead of sitting at home and working on my presentation, I’m here in this shit shop hoping my battery lasts long enough on my laptop to get it done.” Eric stuck his tongue out at him.

“Wow, look who’s talking. All you talk about is work! Work, work, work!” Jimmy puffed out his chest and furrowed his brow in his best impression of his serious friend. “I’ve got to stay late and work eighty hours a week and forget I have a life outside of the corporate office.” Eric stared at him for a moment then resumed working on his computer.

“Just shut up and drink your coffee.”

“You call me a prankster? A fool among fools? At least I don’t forget to have some fun every once in awhile.” Jimmy picked up his coffee and stood from his seat. “Call me when you’re done working. I’m going to go do something that doesn’t make me want to throw your computer into the wall.” He took a dignified sip of his coffee then stopped and made a face of disgust. He spit the coffee all over the floor, gagged and choked on it. Eric kept typing away at his computer.

“What the fuck is wrong with my coffee? Fucking tastes like they poured a whole shit ton of salt in here!” Eric didn’t look up at him, just grabbed the sugar container he’d given to Jimmy earlier and shoved it at him. Jimmy looked at his friend in realization.

“April fools. Dick.”

1 comment: